Production Tooling Bars & Cutters
- Starts with a high-grade alloy steel boring bar for long-run performance. Inside the boring bar is a hardened centering pin that keeps the boring cutter centered for repeatable, within-tolerance performances.
- Operates at twice the feed of single-point tools and provides a balanced centered cut for straighter holes. The boring cutter is an adjustable, twin-edged design that allows you to meet bore tolerances and compensate for indexable insert tolerances. The adjustment screw in the cutter also prevents it from collapsing and boring undersize. The centering pin in the boring bar engages the centering notch in the cutter to keep it within the bar and centers the roughing cutter for roughing pass.
- Bores in three simple steps. (1) Insert the roughing cutter and rough bore the part to establish the bore centerline. (2) Chamfer the hole with the chamfering cutter to guide the finishing cutter into the hole. (3) Insert the finishing cutter into the boring bar and "float"the finishing cutter through the bore. Repeatability is typically within +/- .0005.
- Meets your application needs. Muskegon Tool design engineers will make a heavy-duty indexable core drill or production boring tool to meet your specific needs. Call us or click here to start saving time and money on your line.
Heavy-duty boring bars
- Removes up to 20% of heavy-stock diameter.
- Makes truing up holes easier by eliminating the tendency of tools to follow cored or drilled holes.
- Built to your specifications. Lets discuss whether one of our standard tooling designs will deliver custom-made performance or whether it’s more cost-effective to custom design a boring bar for your specific needs. Call us or click here to discuss your application.
Medium-duty boring bars & cutters
- Stays true. Unique floating action compensates for machine misalignment.
- Doubles production rates compared to solid reamers.
- Permits in the bar adjustments in increments of .0001
- Reduces tooling costs with high-speed steel or brazed tip cutters that can be ground to face shoulders and steps.
- Designed to fit your application. Our engineers will show you the most effective solution from our custom or standard tooling designs. See how we can help you save time and money. Click here.
Light-duty bottoming bars & cutters
- Works for facing blind holes and counter-boring applications.
- Keeps tooling costs in line with easy-to-re-grind brazed tip and high-speed steel cutters.
- Solves your cutting challenges. Ready to save manufacturing steps? Talk to Muskegon Tool design engineers about our custom-designed and standard tooling solutions. Call or click here.
Indexable Insert Boring Tools
Heavy-duty indexable core drill bits and holders
- Smooths out rough boring. Ideal for use in rough boring of castings, forgings and tubing where "core shift" may be an issue.
- Two effective cutting teeth. Produce straighter, rounder holes in less time than with a single point tool or indexable drill. See how we can help you save time and money. Click here
- Built to your specifications. Core drill blanks are stocked to accomodate bores from 1" diameter to 4 1/4" diameter. Larger sizes are available on request.
- Holders on hand and made to order. Straight shank holders are stocked to accomodate diameters up to 4 1/4". Holders are made with through coolant capability. Larger diameters, special lengths and special shank configurations are available on request.
Special core drill bit and holder with Cat 50 shank.
Boring bars and indexable inserted double-edge cutters
- Choose your insert grade and geometry. Cutter blanks are custom milled to accomodate the ISO standard insert of your choice.
- Dual inserts. Eliminates tapers and out-of-roundness while doubling production rates over single point tools.
- Adjustability. Easy on-machine adjustment significantly reduces downtime over conventional boring tools.
- Flexibility. Boring bars & cutters are suited for use on horizontal or vertical CNC machining and turning centers, as well as conventional chuckers, lathes, and horizontal or vertical boring mills.